Sunday, January 15, 2012

Heroic Yor'sahj Down

That's right, my guild is now 2/8 heroic. After a major hiccup in terms of dps output (roughly 40 million damage behind), with some respeccing and a change in raid composition, we managed to get the dps required to finish him off. Previously we had been attempting to three heal that fight. But with the tight enrage timer this proved to be impossible. So we went with a discipline priest and holy paladin. It seems that a holy paladin is almost required to heal that fight properly. In addition, our marksmanship hunter respecced to survival and our frost dk specced to unholy. Also, our other healing priest went shadow.

On our first attempt with this new setup, we hit the enrage timer and wiped with him at 2%. Had we just ignored the last set of oozes, we probably would have gotten him. But hey, hindsight is 20/20, right? I've experimented with my spec a little to help with overall damage. Seems tank dps makes a bit of a difference on heroic. I managed to increase my dps output to around 17-19k on most attempts. I'm no bear tank, so I'm pretty happy with that. I changed out the Glyph of Death Coil for the Glyph of Death Strike a little while back and haven't bothered changing it. Seems to really help when I can hit a Death Strike for an 80-90k crit. I experimented with helping to bring the Mana Voids down in health while the rest of the raid went to kill each ooze. It definitely seems like the key to that fight is managing those. Leaving the first one up but bringing it low in health, then killing the first after the second has spawned and drained mana again.

Our composition for our kill was:

Tank
Blood Death Knight

Healers
Discipline Priest
Holy Paladin

DPS
Survival Hunter
Frost Death Knight
Feral Druid
Arcane Mage
Fire Mage
Demonology Warlock
Shadow Priest



One thing I've been thinking of writing about has been tips for dk tanks for each encounter, such as when I use each cool down. I honestly don't know how many people actually read this anymore. I see referring links from Repgrind a lot as well as some other sites that I haven't even been to. I really do appreciate that. I didn't think anyone would really want to read what I have to say.

If anyone has any suggestions on what I should write about, feel free to let me know in comments. Also, let me know if dk tank tips would be something that you would find interesting as well.

1 comment:

  1. Heh. Ya, I try to check in once a week and see if anything new is up. I may be a healer now, but my first Kingslayer and first toon to kill Cho'gall were both DK tanks, so reading about them still interests me ... especially since your guild is only a couple of bosses ahead of us in progression.

    ReplyDelete