Tuesday, October 25, 2011

4.3 and the PTR

There's a specific topic I've been stuck on lately and that's the assumption that Death Knight tanks just get trucked on most bosses. I will not dispute that we take more damage than other tanks. I've seen that myself and there are countless logs showing it's true. But I think some of the values people are claiming are a bit skewed. For example, that post on the blood death knight forum on EJ claiming that a dk tank will take, on average, a melee attack of 71k. I have never taken that much damage from Shannox before. I have taken that much damage in a single hit from Riplimb when his stacks got out of hand and he had basically one shot everyone else before coming for me.

The obvious cause for this higher damage intake is simply how our class is designed. We have lower armor, so we take more damage. We take more damage so we can heal for more with Death Strike and gain a larger Blood Shield so the next hit is smaller than what even a Paladin tank takes on average. It creates a ton of spikes in health. But that's "working as intended."

There have been times where I have been scared that I will be destroyed in seconds on bosses. Cho'gall during Flame's Orders comes to mind. But the problem there was mostly from having a healer chase the other tank back to the entrance, having another mind controlled, and then I have one left on me. If they have to move out of something, I'm not getting any heals. So it all makes sense. But generally speaking, I don't feel like I'm going to die in the next attack. I'm not afraid of being one shot, as it has never happened. So I'm a little lost as to why so many tanks talk about dks being one and two shot all the time. To me, it seems as if they're doing something wrong if that's happening.

One thing I will say though is that the current PTR is definitely geared in a way that destroys dks. Riggnaros has a video displaying exactly what I'm talking about here. Obviously, he isn't doing it wrong. He spoke with a GM about this issue on the PTR as well and the GM agreed that it shouldn't be possible for a dk tank to be killed inside of a GCD from full health. So we'll see how they address that. If they do not fix that issue, it may not be possible to bring a dk tank to raids in 4.3.



But speaking of 4.3, dks are getting quite a few tweaks to their abilities. Most of the dk tanking community labels these as band-aid fixes, but I'm actually pretty excited about them.

Death Strike will always provide it's heal effect even if the hit did not land. This is an amazing change. Most of my time is spent spamming death strike since, despite the actual chances of this happening, it very often will fail to connect upwards of 5 times in a row. The downside is that before if it didn't connect, the runes would immediately be refunded, allowing us to spam it until it actually did connect. It won't do that anymore. So damage and thus threat from this attack will go down a bit. Well, as a tank, I look to survive first. So I'm fine with that.

Veteran of the Third War now also reduces the cooldown of Outbreak by 30 sec. This is also amazing. Before if my disease were about to fall off, I'd have to make that call of reapplying them or getting another Death Strike in because they have the same total rune cost. For periods of high damage, Death Strike would always win. With Outbreak on a 1 minute cool down, using it sometimes felt clunky. But with my build using 3/3 points in Epidemic, this will allow me to use Outbreak each time it comes off cool down without letting diseases ever fall off, and not taking away a Death Strike.

Blade Barrier has been revamped and is simpler - You take 2/4/6% less damage from all sources. It's now passive. This I feel was not necessary. Many dks complain about the "rune tetris" they have to play to keep Blade Barrier up while keeping runes available for as many Death Strikes as possible. To me, keeping Blade Barrier up was not very difficult and I liked trying to have the highest up time for it as possible. I felt that using a blood rune right before the next one came off cool down wasn't too hard. Obviously Runic Empowerment can suddenly change things if it activated a blood rune, but I actually liked it.

Bone Shield now has 6 charges. This would be great if they fixed something about it. That being that the amount of damage it takes to consume a charge can be anything. Even something as little as 50 damage. Before 4.2, I would see Bone Shield up almost constantly for me so long as I continued to avoid attacks. Only melee attacks and direct magic spells would consume a charge, not AOE. After 4.2, that changed. It wasn't mentioned so far as I can remember in any of the patch notes or hotfixes. It's a little frustrating during encounters like Alysrazor and Beth'tilac where their raid wide AOE attacks that do damage every few seconds consume a charge of Bone Shield each time they tick. So if I put Bone Shield up right before the pull, the AOE will likely eat all my charges and it will still be on cool down when I actually start to tank something. I remember seeing a proposed change for Bone Shield where it would instead only use a charge when hit by a certain amount of damage, a spike essentially. That would make me extremely happy. But just changing it back to the way it was before 4.2 would make me happy as well.

Blood Presence armor bonus is going to 55% from 30%. This would essentially put our armor on par with Paladins and Warriors. We'd still take more damage due to no actual block, but our overall damage would be less. I like this, but again I fear that further tweaks will happen due to the changes this will cause to Death Strike's heal. Less damage intake will result in smaller heals from it and thus smaller shields. But again, survivability is my main concern, and this should increase that overall.


Hopefully they can fix the balance issue that has been present for quite some time: block capping. Paladins can block cap already and Warriors will be able to in the next patch. This obviously skews tank damage quite a bit. If blizzard does intend on eventually addressing this issue, I'm sure the outcry from those classes will be huge. Much like when Paladin tanks complained about having to use Ardent Defender when they're low in health instead of it saving them automatically. I could go on and on about my pally hate, but I'll save that for another post ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment